Rules for remote proctored exams
In this article, the rules that need to be followed during a remote proctored exams will be clarified.
Take some time to read:
- The general rules on education and examination: Education and Examination Regulations Wageningen University 2021-2022 (general part) - WUR
- The rules and regulations from the examining board: Rules and Regulations Examining Boards of Wageningen University 2021-2022 - WUR
This article will explain:
Rules about the exam room
- You are the only person in the room during the whole exam
- The room is silent. Sounds such as music playing are not allowed
- No TV or extra computer monitors are visible. If you have a TV or extra monitor it should be disconnected and covered with a towel or sheet.
- You must perform a proper room scan:
- to show that only the allowed materials are on and beneath your desk
- to show that your room is in line with the rules
- to show your phone is out of reach
- that should at least be 45 seconds
- where you walk and turn slowly through the room
- where you show yourself and the laptop in front of a mirror to show there are no extra materials on your laptop or your body
It is your responsibility to show that the room is suitable for taking an exam. If your room scan does not comply to the rules your exam might be declared invalid. You can preview the room scan before you submit this.
- The following can be used during your proctored exam:
- The calculator (available in the interface from Ans). Only for specific exams the examiner may allow the use of a physical calculator.
- The translate function in Readspeaker when allowed in this exam.
- A pen/pencil and scratch paper which has to be shown to the camera before and after the exam
Please keep in mind for most exams the desk is empty, except for scratch paper. Only for some exams it is allowed to have a physical calculator and/or study materials
- You must take the exam sitting behind a desk or table
- It is allowed to have something to drink on your desk or table. The bottle must be transparent and without a label.
Your exam time starts after you have finished the login procedure. So take your time!
Perform a room scan
||Make sure there is nothing suspicious on your desk|
|No other person is allowed in the room||✔️
||During the whole exam|
The room is silent
Sounds such us music playing is not allowed
Available in the interface from Ans
For translating between English and your native language
|Pen/pencil and scratch paper||✔️
||Has to be shown to the camera before and after the exam|
||Only a transparent bottle without label|
|Empty the desk||✔️
Except for scratch paper. Only for some exams it is allowed to have a physical calculator and/or study materials
|Sit behind the desk/table||✔️
Rules about the computer
- Additional devices are not allowed except for a keyboard, mouse or webcam.
- TV or extra computer screens are covered with a towel or sheet.
- The use of communication programs is forbidden.
- The use of applications and/or websites is only allowed when explicitly mentioned in the exam.
Please keep in mind that for specific exams the examiner explicitly allows the use of applications or the internet
|Use of applications, communication programs and Internet||❌
||Only for specific exams the examiner explicitly allows the use of applications or Internet|
Rules about behavior
- At the start of your exam you show your WUR-card for identification.
- You stay in the room, with your face in view of your webcam, during the whole exam
- Your examiner will inform you whether or not a toilet break is applicable for your exam.
- You may not use headsets, ear plugs, or similar audio devices.
- You are not allowed to use your telephone during the exam. Put it out of reach.
Only in case of an unexpected technical problem you may call WUR examination support on at
+31 317 488881
Any type of suspicious behavior is reported to examining board.
|Show your WUR-card for identification
||A valid ID card is also allowed. Cover any other information than your name and photo.|
Stay in the room, in view of your webcam
||Your face should be visible in the webcam during the whole exam.|
Your examiner will inform you whether or not a toilet break is applicable
Toilet breaks are not allowed in exams lasting 90 minutes or less.
|Headsets, ear plugs, or similar audio devices||❌
Only in case of an unexpected technical problem you may call the support number
Irregularities that will have direct consequences for the validity of your exam
Irregularities that lead to an invalid exam are:
- No proper identification
- An incomplete room scan (not according to instructions or less than 45 seconds)
- Not sitting properly at a desk
- Items on the desk, or beneath it, that are not allowed or lead to confusion in the review process
- Taskbar not visible (the bar which shows which applications are active on your computer)
- Leaving the room, or leaving the room longer or more often than allowed
- Extra screens (TV or computer monitor) in the room which are uncovered or an extra device within reach (Note: if unauthorized use of an extra device is suspected, a fraud investigation will (also) be started by the Examining Board)
- An incomplete video recording
- Other (repeated) irregularities; to be assessed by the Examining Boards
Common mistakes which are flagged
- You use the wrong ID-picture and the ID-picture is not clear
The picture should be a picture of your WUR-card, passport or driver’s license and not a picture of you. Also make sure there is enough light so you get a clear picture.
- The room is too dark and the proctor can not see you.
If your room is full of objects, make sure you very slowly make your room scan
- Typing any password will not work. The only way to make it work is by using the Insert Password Button
For more information please visit: Try-out remote proctored exam
- Not showing your scratch paper to the camera slowly at the end of your exam
Read this FAQ item on what happens if your exam is flagged.